Monday, July 12, 2010

My World Tuesday ~ The Dune Cabin

 I have been going on about cabin building so I figure I had better show you what we are doing.  This is the site location....
on the edge of the dunes.
We asked Donald if he would cut down some "regen"(regenerating new growth) and level the site.  His little hoe just picked the trees out of the sand.  We harvested the new spruce tips to make beer, tea and cough syrup and burned the trees.
The levelled site.
We mixed and poured concrete pads and drove the three front posts into the ground.
These old hand milled timbers are from a garage that was taken down on the property.
This is the "critter proof" floor, tar paper was placed on the timbers and then a sub floor was pieced together with old 3/4" plywood....recycle, reuse, reduce!  Another frame will be laid for the installation of 1.5" tongue and groove pine flooring and insulation.
Celebrating the completion of phase one.  The cabin is 12' x 16' with a 4' deck.  As the weather comes directly at the front of the cabin from the southeast the door will be to the left(north side) with firewood storage.  The cabin will be clad inside and out with red cedar.
Our stash of locally cut and milled dimensional timber.
The documentation of each days progress with the walls was lost when my Olympus camera died.
It took five days to put up the walls under the watchful gaze and attack of  "no-see-ums" and "black flies"!
The best part......the view!
There are wall to wall windows in the front and around the corners overlooking the dunes and the ocean.
Several days ago we headed to the beach to look for some character wood for the porch supports.
The choice was a little overwhelming!!!!
Trying out the pieces we found.
I think they add character...
Looking towards the southwest from the dunes.
Looking northwest from a higher dune.  In the forground is a picnic shelter and campfire.
And the cabin as we left it tonight.  The roof line is temporary to see if the pitch is what we want and the rafters won't be that long.  There will be a sleeping loft over the deck, wood heat, composting toilet, cystern for water collection and outdoor rainforest shower.
P.S.  To those who stop by my blog for the first time or those wonderful regulars I apologize for not visiting your blogs as regularly as I would like.  Out on the islands we have to "make hay while the sun shines" so between cabin building, painting contracts and technical difficulties I haven't had much time or energy to connect but this to will pass!
For more great places from around the world why not join us at

17 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Wow! How great is that! I'm really happy for you guys, Carolyn! Love your photos and really look forward to seeing the finished product. I can understand why you've been so busy! Enjoy! We'll all catch up later!

Sylvia

Kay said...

I love your cabin, those driftwood beams add so much character! I wouldn't mind having a couple of those...hmmm...I wonder if my daughter-in-law could haul them down here when she comes to visit me! LOL

Jim said...

Quite interesting.

Unknown said...

what a gorgeous place to build a cabin. the driftwood for the porch is a great idea and beautiful, too! can't wait to see your finished cabin.:p

Ms. Fiddlesticks said...

Absolutely gorgeous. What more could you really need in a dwelling. Love your pics and letting us share. Give us more.

Penelope Notes said...

Oh, your cabin-to-be looks wonderful with its ocean view and surrounding open spaces that aren’t always easy to find in more populated places in BC.

Sciarada said...

Hi Carolyne, a great and beatiful work

Barbara said...

This looks like a wonderful place for a cabin, all the hard work will be worth it!

Powell River Books said...

This is so exciting. It is an amazing view from your front porch as well as from your loft bedroom I am sure. Is the land freehold? I especially like the natural posts for your porch. Having helped John a bit with building his cabin I now understand more about construction, even though I could never do it on my own. I like the fact that you are using and reusing local materials. I know there will be lots of stories to come. - Margy

Susan Ellis said...

Love it love it love it..and love the upright logs cum pillars! Well done!!

Clytie said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been waiting for these pictures! Those driftwood pillars are spectacular - and the view ... well, it's perfect.

I can see why you've been so busy!

Barb said...

What an organic setting for your cabin! That view is awesome. Will it only be accessible in the summer or can you use it year-round? I do like the porch supports you chose.

Gaelyn said...

Thank you So much for sharing the cabin under construction. It's Wonderful. I love how you're using recycled materials and the porch supports are superb. What an awesome place to spend time. Better than being on the computer any old day.

Anonymous said...

Lordy what an amazing pile of wood on the beach? I had a friend who lived on Victoria Island and he used to walk along the beaches there and pick up pieces to care into some amazing faces.

I really enjoyed my visit here and the cabin building. Wow. What an inspiration the building will be for a lot of people who dream about getting away from it all.

I wonder if you could share one of your favorite recipes with me for my blog. Anything you guys probably eat would be different from grandma's apple pie. I mean you must eat some wild meat of some sort and have best recipes..

Fat Lady Recipes

EG CameraGirl said...

I am so impressed! And YES, the character wood definitely adds character. And the view you have is wonderful. Best wishes as you work on this awesome project! (YOU are doing what many people dream of doing.)

Linda said...

I don't know what to comment on first here! Beer from spruce trees (really? - do explain), all those trees on the seashore, the view...

Janie said...

I really like the "character wood" supports, and the view is just fantastic!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin