Monday, April 26, 2010

MyWorld Tuesday ~ A Spring Walk in the Woods

White Trillium (Trillium grandiflorum)
 I took a friends dog for a walk at the Beaver Meadow Conservation Area south of Picton, Ontario last week(before the black flies showed up!).  I had forgotten how beautiful a hardwood forest is in the spring when it is in bloom. 
Ontario's provincal flower, I haven't seen trilliums for at least ten years.
These simple, single stem flowers are easily identified by their three white petals, three sepals and three leaves in whoral formation.
The forest floor was a carpet of these simple, beautiful flowers.
Red Trillium (Trillium erectum)
Among the masses of white trillium this red trillium was an unexpected treat and the only one I saw.
I nearly missed these lovely flowers as they open with the sun.
Trout Lily (Erythronium americanum)
Where there were carpets of Trilliums there were more of the Trout Lily.
This "lovely" I captured on yesterdays bright morning walk.
Marsh Blue Violet (Viola cucullata)
These delicate flowers almost got lost in last years duff.
Despite the lack of rain and water the forest was overrun with wildflowers.
Wild Strawberry (Fragaria virginiana)
Marsh Marigold (Caltha palustris)
This photo doesn't really do these brilliant flowers justice but the black flies were too bad to get a steady close up!  Take it from me they were breath taking.
I know it is not a flower but it is beautiful! 
Cut-leaved toothwort (Dentaria Laciniata)
Downy Yellow violet (Viola pubescens)
The last flower I saw as I walked out of the conservation area through a farmers right of way.
The trees are almost in bloom, nothing a good spring rain wouldn't help!
For other great places from around the world join us at
Photos can be enlarged for more detail by clicking on them. 
Have a great week.

11 comments:

Tom said...

Beautiful collection of flowers from your part of the world....

Gaelyn said...

Such a lovely place to walk in the spring. I love the trillium yet never get to see the reds, maybe a shade of pink once in a while.

Sylvia K said...

What a lovely place to walk indeed! And what beautiful flowers, love the colors! And your photos are terrific, Carolyn! Love the one of your grandson, too!! Hope you have wonderful week!

Sylvia

Martha Z said...

Thanks for this lovely walk in the woods.
No rain? I guess it is all coming our way. No complaints (at least not many) we are having a beautiful spring in California after several years of drought.

SandyCarlson said...

I love trillium. These are great photos.

Gunsside said...

What a collection, beautiful different flowers ;)

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

We have a Picton in New Zealand too. Where is Picton canada? I was in Windsor in the 70s

Kathie Brown said...

I grew up in the forests of New England, USA. You made me remember how it all looked though I don't believe I ever saw that many trilluims before! So beautiful. I can do without the blackflies however!

Gwendolyn L said...

What a beautiful set of pictures. Great reminders of the new season unfolding before our eyes. Thanks for sharing.

Powell River Books said...

Beautiful flowers on your walk. I like the fresh look of the Trilliums, but the yellow Marsh Marigold is my favourite. - Margy

Amanda Lee said...

You are so blessed to live near all this natural beauty! thank you for sharing your walk with us. I'm here from My World.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin