Circa 1922 (Prov. of Ontario Archives)
The Cook's managed the The Regent until George's death in 1959. In 1962 Ellen Cook decided to lease out the operation while retaining ownership of the building. She remodelled it before handing it over to the new tenants and was very pleased that....“it gives two young men a chance to try their hand at show business, and earn a living at something they feel they are fitted for”.
Interior view from back - circa 1922 (Prov. of Ontario Archives)
In 1964 their youngest daughter Louise Cook took over the operation of the theatre. With the advent of television in the 1950s, the theatre came upon hard times. The number of seats went from 1000 (these photos) to about 500 and when the present seats were installed, the number was further reduced to 353. The balcony and orchestra pit were removed and the Regent became primarily a movie theatre.